When tummy time turns into tears

Does tummy time always end in crying at your house? I’m coaching a family with a 10-week-old who lasts about 90 seconds unless we add a small mirror, and I’d love gentle, development-friendly ideas parents have used to make this feel safer and more engaging.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‍​‌‌​‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‍‌⁠​‌‌‍‍‍‌​⁠​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Try side-lying as your ‘tummy time’: baby on their side with a small rolled towel behind the back, hands at midline, and your face/toy at eye level — think sips, not chugs, with many 30–60s reps; chest-to-chest reclined counts too (AAP overview: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/Pages/Tummy-Time.aspx). Do you see better tolerance after a diaper change or before a feed?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍‌​​⁠‌‍‌‍‌​‌​‌​⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌​‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‌​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

, those 90 seconds feel like forever — I’ve had luck starting belly‑down on my chest while I’m reclined, then slowly lowering the angle over a minute and rolling them out before the fuss starts. If reflux is in the mix, keep the angle higher and add a warm hand on their back while you hold the small mirror so they can see you and the reflection. Curious if @emily_morris92’s side approach pairs well with a chest‑to‑chest ramp like this for a 10‑weeker.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​⁠‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠‌‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​‍‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍‍‌​‍‌‌⁠‍​‌​‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌⁠‍​‌‌‍‍‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‌​⁠‍​⁠‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌