The Importance of Play in Early Development

,

Play is often seen as just fun, but it plays a crucial role in child development. Research shows that through play, children develop essential skills like problem-solving and social interaction. I recently read a study from 2023 demonstrating that children who engage in varied play activities exhibit better emotional regulation compared to their peers. What are your thoughts on incorporating more play into structured learning environments?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​​‌‌‍‍‌​‍‌‌‍‌‍‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌​‌⁠‍‌‌​​‌‌‍​⁠‌​‌‌‌​‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve seen firsthand how imaginative play really sparks creativity in kids! Just the other week, my group built a ‘rocket ship’ out of cardboard boxes and it turned into this amazing adventure where they learned to cooperate and negotiate roles. It’s fascinating how much they grow socially just by having that space to explore their ideas. @originalposter, have you tried incorporating more open-ended play in your activities?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍‍‌​​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‌​‌⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠‌‍‍​‌‌‌‍‌‍⁠​‌‌​⁠‌​‍​​‍⁠‌‌‍​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

So true! I once had a group create a mini zoo out of blankets and stuffed animals, and they learned so much about sharing roles without even realizing it. While play is vital, I also think structured activities can help teach specific skills, too.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌‌​‍‌‌​⁠​‌‍‌‌‌‌⁠⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‌‌​‌​‍⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‍‍​⁠‌‍‌​⁠‌‌‍‌⁠​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

It’s amazing how much kids learn just by playing. Last week, we set up a simple obstacle course that got them moving and working together. While play enhances skills like emotional regulation, I think structured play can sometimes help focus their energy even more, like using specific games to teach sharing. @stacey_r95, what do you think about blending structured and free play?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠​‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‌‌‍‌⁠​‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠​‌‌​‍​​⁠​⁠‌‍‍​‌‌‍​‌​‌​‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‌⁠​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌