Our state just announced a $500 per-module stipend for infant/toddler caregiver courses (CDA or PITC), with applications opening Nov 1 and a Q&A webinar this Thursday at 2 pm. I’m sharing because it’s a chance to build practical skills in responsive routines and de-escalation without straining budgets; if folks want, I can coordinate a free community study group at the rec center on Tuesdays at 6 pm so we learn together — who’s in or already applied?
Did PITC last spring; the “wait, watch, and wonder” stance plus a 10-second pause before stepping in cut my toddler tussles in half — also offer two choices during diapering and transitions. If you set up the rec study group, I’m in for Modules 1–2 after 5 pm, but heads up the stipend reimbursement took about 6 weeks and needed a W-9. feels like giving future-you a nap?
Quick example: adding a tiny visual ‘first–then’ card by my changing table cut diaper refusals — ‘first diaper, then book’ while I place the book in their hands kept things calm and quick. If you’re joining the Thursday 2 pm Q&A, ask whether the $500 per‑module stipend reimburses or pays upfront; I had to float costs last year and that surprised me.
Applying Nov 1 — PITC’s ‘soft voice, slow hands’ cut biting; downside: tough to model when coverage’s thin.
I’m applying Nov 1 — $500 per module makes it a no-brainer. Quick win that cut my pushback: before any pick-up or diaper change I get to eye level, say ‘I’m going to move your body now,’ let them touch the wipe, then count ‘1–2–3 lift’; the predictability killed the arch-and-scream. If coverage’s thin, I do standing changes against the wall mat as a fallback, but check your licensor.